Trading Standards Officer Level 1
Are you looking to start out on your work journey…or are you looking for a change of course from your current career path?
Then Lincolnshire County Council has an exciting and very rare opportunity available. We're looking for the budding Matt Allwrights out there to join us in clamping down on the county's rogue traders, providing advice to business and protecting vulnerable consumers.
Our Trading Standards Service is looking for several candidates to join their team as trainee Trading Standards Officers. This is an exceptional opportunity to gain a career for life. We are offering a full training package designed to take suitable candidates from entry level through to fully rounded and qualified Trading Standards Professionals.
We are offering a 5 year learning journey, taking you from novice to expert level. You will receive top class training from accredited bodies and professionals, coupled with continuous on the job training from our current professional team. All this whilst working and earning!
We are interested in receiving applications from people who are persistent, determined, patient, thorough, pay attention to detail, and have the ability to remain calm in stressful situations. Needless to say you will need to be an excellent communicator, have a professional yet personable manner and be extremely self-aware. We are not looking for specific academic achievements (although a good grasp of mathematics and science is required); more important to us is your aptitude, drive, ability and commitment to completing both the academic and practical coursework necessary to gain the recognised professional qualification.
If you feel you can offer all of the above and more, then we can offer you fantastic training and a career for life.
Your day-to-day duties could include:
- Visiting local traders and businesses for routine checks or investigating complaints
- Taking samples of goods for testing
- Checking that weighing scales and measures are accurate, like beer and spirit measures in pubs and clubs
- Making sure labelling is correct and advertising is not misleading
- Finding unsafe electrical goods and toys
- Advising consumers and businesses about the law
- Investigating suspected offences through undercover or surveillance work
- Preparing evidence and going to court in prosecution cases
- Giving talks, writing reports and keeping records
This role is permanent and will be generally working office hours; however there will be times where unsociable hours will be required…Rogue Traders don’t always stick to 9-5! Due to the nature of the role a full driving licence and access to your own vehicle will be essential.
In the last year our Trading Standards Team has made some very significant progress;
- They seized over 1 million illicit cigarettes.
- Became the first Trading Standards department to prosecute a landlord under the proceeds of crime act for money laundering.
- Prosecuted a motor trader for supplying an unsafe car and attempting to pervert the course of justice after he impersonated a Trading Standards Officer in an attempt to remove the car from the garage where it was being held!
- We saw over 460 scam victims who saved over £200,000 as a result of our intervention.
If this sounds like something that you would enjoy then be sure to read through the attached Job Description before applying and we look forwards to hearing from you.
For an informal discussion please contact Mark Keal on; 01522 550820 or Emma Milligan on; 01522 552408.
All candidates are advised to read the attached job information pack prior to making an application.
On occasion we receive significantly more applications than expected for some vacancies and under such circumstances we reserve the right to bring forward the closing date of the advertisement. We therefore strongly advise you to apply for the role promptly to avoid disappointment should the closing date be brought forward.
We operate a 'Silver Medallist' talent pool scheme whereby candidates who are not successful on this occasion may be considered for a period of up to 3 months for similar positions.
Lincolnshire County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
We want our workforce to reflect the make-up of the community we serve. Therefore we welcome all applications irrespective of gender, ethnic origin, belief, sexual orientation, age or disability. We consider ourselves to be a family friendly employer, and offer flexible working patterns.
In accordance with Part 7 of the Immigration Act 2016 (Fluency Duty), the ability to converse at ease with customers and provide advice in accurate spoken English is essential for the post.